Building yourself a house is a great reward for yourself and your family. However, the cost of building is usually high and many people end up getting discouraged. There are measures you can take to cut down the cost of building a house. With proper planning and information, it is possible to build a house that is within your budget. In this article, we will provide you with some tips to help you build a cheap house.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Construction in Kenya
The following are some factors that you can consider to lower the cost of building a house in Kenya.
- House design
- Site location
- Typography of land and soil type
- Fittings and finishes
- Specification and availability of materials
- Size of the house
Read also: Real estate properties to invest in Kenya.
How to Cut Down the Cost of Building a House in Kenya
It is cheaper to build a house than to buy one. Also, when you build a house, you are in control of the design, finishes and fittings to be installed. The following are some measures you can take to bring down the cost of building a house in Kenya.
1. Buy the materials yourself. One of the ways to bring down the cost of building a house is to shop around before buying materials. This way, you can find cheaper materials and enjoy discounts. Most foremen inflate the prices so that they can pocket the extra money.
2. Do the supervision yourself. It is best that you supervise the construction of your house. Most foremen and masons build slowly so that they can work longer which ends up inflating the cost of construction. You also need to be keeping a look at how the materials are used. Otherwise, they may be sold and you are told to buy more.
3. Hire professionals. You need to hire professional masons for skilled labour. You do not want to go for cheap work that will necessitate repairs and add up to more costs. It is good that you first get to see houses the people you are about to hire have constructed.
4. Avoid buying land in a hilly area. One of the factors that can drive up the cost of construction is the topography of land and soil type. When buying land, look for a place with red soil or murram. Building a house in an area with black cotton soil will require you to remove it when building the foundation and replace it with murram.
5. Adopt a simple design. If you are working with a strained budget, then it is best you go for a simple house. The size of your land can help you determine whether to build a bungalow or a mansion. Although a mansion is more expensive, it can be a better option if the size of your land is small.
How to Build a Three Bedroom with Ksh 800,000
The cost of building a 3-bedroom mansion house in Kenya can range between Ksh 800,000 to Ksh 5 million. Many factors will determine the cost of building. The rule of thumb is to stick to your budget.
The following is a cost breakdown of building a simple three-bedroom house with Ksh 800,000.
- Digging foundation – Ksh 5,000
- Building foundation –Ksh 50,000
- Buying materials – Ksh 150,000
- Building walls – Ksh 150,000
- Roofing – Ksh 200,000
- Door and windows – Ksh 50,000
- Plastering – Ksh 50,000
- Finishes and fittings – Ksh 150,000
Read also: How to plan a simple wedding in Kenya.
You can bring down the cost of building a three-bedroom house if you adopt the above tips. A mason is supposed to build at least 110 feet in a single day. This means that if the house should have 9 courses, then you should be through with building the courses in at most a week.