Building yourself a house is a great reward for yourself and your family. However, the cost of building is usually high and many people end up getting discouraged. There are measures you can take when building a cheap home in Kenya. With proper planning and information, it is possible to get the cheapest house to build in Kenya; that is within your budget. In this article, we will you how to build a cheap house in Kenya.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Construction in Kenya
The following are some factors that you can consider when building cheap houses in Kenya .
- Simple house design
- Site location
- Typography of land and soil type
- Fittings and finishes
- Specification and availability of materials
- Size of the house
How to Build a House Cheaply in Kenya
It is cheaper to build a house than to buy one. Also, when you build a house, you are in control of the design, finishes and fittings to be installed. The following are some measures you can take to lower the cost of building a house in Kenya .
1. Buy the materials yourself. One of the ways to lower the cost of building a house in Kenya is to shop around before buying materials. This way, you can find cheaper materials and enjoy discounts. Most foremen inflate the prices so that they can pocket the extra money.
2. Do the supervision yourself. It is best that you supervise the construction of your house. Most foremen and masons build slowly so that they can work longer which ends up inflating the cost of construction. You also need to be keeping a look at how the materials are used. Otherwise, they may be sold and you are told to buy more.
3. Hire professionals. You need to hire professional masons for skilled labour. You do not want to go for cheap work that will necessitate repairs and add up to more costs. It is good that you first get to see houses the people you are about to hire have constructed.
4. Avoid buying land in a hilly area. One of the factors that can drive up the cost of construction is the topography of land and soil type. When buying land, look for a place with red soil or murram. Building a house in an area with black cotton soil will require you to remove it when building the foundation and replace it with murram.
5. Look for simple house designs in Kenya. If you are working with a strained budget, then it is best you go for low cost house designs in Kenya. The size of your land can help you determine whether to build a bungalow or a mansion. Although a mansion is more expensive, it can be a better option if the size of your land is small and if you have the finances.
Read also: Real estate properties to invest in Kenya.
How to Build a Three Bedroom with Ksh 800,000
The cost of building a 3 bedroom house in Kenya can range between Ksh 800,000 and Ksh 5 million. There are many factors that can determine the cost of building. The rule of thumb is to stick to your budget. The following is a cost breakdown of cost of constructing a 3 bedroom house in Kenya with Ksh 800,000.
- Digging foundation – Ksh 5,000
- Building foundation – Ksh 50,000
- Buying materials – Ksh 150,000
- Building walls – Ksh 150,000
- Roofing – Ksh 200,000
- Door and windows – Ksh 50,000
- Plastering – Ksh 50,000
- Finishes and fittings – Ksh 150,000
Read also: Is renting a waste of money?
Summary of How to Build a Cheap House in Kenya
You can lower the cost of building a house in Kenya if you follow the above tips. It is the cheapest way to build a house in Africa. A mason is supposed to build at least 110 feet in a single day. This means that if the house should have 9 courses, then you should be through with building the courses in at most 2 weeks.