Last Updated:

How to Start Airbnb Business in South Africa

Airbnb was started in 2008 and has grown to become one of the leading accommodation marketplaces. In the past, travelers used to book accommodation in hotels when traveling. However, the situation has changed. Many people are now preferring Airbnb since it is cheap and feels homier. You can make over $2,000 every month from Airbnb every month.

In this article, we will show you how to start Airbnb business in South Africa.

What is Airbnb Business?

Airbnb is an online marketplace that connects property owners with travelers looking for a place to stay. People with properties can list them on Airbnb and travelers can make bookings online. Once you have listed your rental space; Airbnb takes care of the rest like advertising.

How to Register on Airbnb South Africa 

It is very easy to register Airbnb South Africa. You just need to visit the Airbnb website and provide the following details:

  • Email address
  • Phone number
  • Facebook or Google account
  • Apple ID

Register on Airbnb

1. The first step is to register on the Airbnb website. You need to enter your basic information and information about your property.

2. After that, you need to choose between duplicating a listing, finishing one in progress, or creating a new listing.

3. Enter the type of your property. It can either be a treehouse, a room within an apartment, an entire apartment, or an entire house.

4. Provide details about the property in terms of the number of beds, baths, bed configurations, and the number of guests.

5. Add photos to your listing. You need to take professional and real images of the property. Guests always want to see how the property looks like before renting one.

6. After that, you need to set prices for your property and cancelation policies. You need to set charges per night and per person.

How Much Does Airbnb Charge Hosts in South Africa?

Airbnb charges both the guest and the host. The guest is charged 15% while the host is charged 2.5%. Therefore, in total Airbnb charges a 17.5% service fee. For example, if the host is charging R100 for a property, the guest will be charged R115. Airbnb will pay the host R97.50.

Also read: How to use debt to make money in real estate.

Is Airbnb Profitable in South Africa?

Yes. If you have a property you want to let, Airbnb is a profitable business in South Africa. With many tourists and expatriates visiting South Africa, the demand for Airbnb properties is high. To make more money in the Airbnb business, ensure your properties are neat and clean always. Also, avail additional amenities like Wi-Fi and ensure that your property is well furnished and has clean running water.

Are Airbnb Hosts Liable for Taxation in South Africa?

Airbnb income is liable for income tax and business rates in South Africa. In most cases, the property owners are the ones required to pay taxes. If you have registered your business on CIPC, then you are liable for business tax.

Related: How to start Airbnb business without owning property. 

How Much Can I Make from Airbnb Business in South Africa?

In the Airbnb business, you can make between $25 and $150 per guest. The cost per guest depends on location, amenities in the property, and the type of property. Many people in the Airbnb business in South Africa are making over $10,000 every month. 

Benefits of Listing Your Property on Airbnb

You get to enjoy the following benefits by listing your property or Airbnb South Africa.

  • It is free to list your property on Airbnb
  • You get Airbnb protection in case of property damages by guests
  • It is an excellent way to earn rental income online
  • You don’t need to do marketing

Summary of How to Start an Airbnb Business in South Africa

With many tourists and expatriates in South Africa, Airbnb is a good business to start. It is free to list your property and guests can make bookings online. Also, Airbnb guarantees you a $1 million cover in case of damages from guests. Also, once you list your property on Airbnb, they do the rest for you.

Read More