Do you have clothes that you no longer use and wondering where to take them? There are many places where you can donate clothes in the U.S. Some of the organizations that accept clothing donations give you receipts so that you can write off your donation on your taxes. When you make a donation, these organizations store the clothes in their thrift stores, recycle, reuse or sell them and use the revenues to support their initiatives.
In this article, we will provide you with the best places to donate clothes near you in the US.
Where to Donate Clothes Near Me?
Do you have clothes you want to donate and looking for places where you can donate them? The following are some of the best places to donate clothes in the U.S.
1. American Red Cross
American Red Cross is the best organization to donate clothes to in the U.S. American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization you can donate clothes to. They provide disaster relief and emergency assistance. They have partnered with GreenDrop, an organization that sells donated clothes and household items. Money from the sales is then taken back to the American Red Cross.
- Accepted donations: You can donate to them new or slightly used clothes and household items, furniture, and kitchenware.
- How to donate: You can donate such stuff at the GreenDrop drop-off location near your location. Alternatively, you can schedule a home pick-up.
Goodwill is the second best place to donate clothes in the U.S Goodwill is majorly funded by retail thrift stores. When you donate clothes, they are either recycled, auctioned in bulk, or put in their stores. Revenues are then used to help people get employment, job training, and career development.
- Accepted donations: You can donate all types of clothes, shoes and accessories.
- How to donate: To donate clothes, you can drop them at their pick-up stations.
3. The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army is a charitable organization where you can donate clothes in the U.S. When you donate clothes to them, they either recycle them or put them in their thrift stores. The advantage of donating clothes to The Salivation Army is that they give you a receipt that you can use to write off your donation on your taxes.
- Accepted donations: You can donate all kinds of clothing, accessories, furniture, appliances, and household items.
- How to donate: To donate clothes, you can drop them off or schedule pick-up services with them.
4. One Warm Coat
One Warm Coat is another place where you can donate clothes to. It is an NGO that provides needy people with free coats. If you have a spare jacket or coat, you can donate it to them.
- Accepted donations: They accept warm jackets and coats for women, men, and children, especially during the winter months.
- How to donate: You can donate to them at an active coat drive near you.
5. Planet Aid
Planet Aid is one of the best organization to donate clothes to, especially because they accept even unwanted clothes. They collect and recycle clothes with a mission to protect the environment. Proceeds from the sale of clothes are then used to reduce poverty.
- Accepted donations: You can donate all kinds of unwanted clothes, even old and torn ones. However, they don’t accept dirty clothes.
- How to donate: To donate, you can drop off unwanted clothes at Planet Aid bins near you.
6. Dress for Success
Dress for Success is an NGO based in New York that provides work clothes to women earning a low income. Besides, they also help less privileged women get jobs and gain financial independence. They partner with local charities and you too can donate clothes to them to support their work.
- Accepted donations: They accepted business and work-appropriate clothes.
- How to donate: To donate clothes, you can visit their affiliate location near you.
7. Big Brother Big Sister Foundation
Big Brother Big Sister Foundation is an organization started in 1904. When you donate clothes to them, they put them in thrift stores for sale or auction. The money they raise is then used to help children and the community. Donations to the organization are tax-deductible.
- Accepted donations: Accepted donations vary by location.
- How to donate: To donate clothes to them, you can visit their pick-up stations.
Soles4Souls is also among the best places to donate shoes in the U.S. The organization collects shoes across the country and gives them to the less fortunate. Besides, they also help people start businesses by donating the shoes they collect to new entrepreneurs. You can write off your donation on your taxes.
- Accepted donations: They accept shoes of all sizes and styles, new and slightly old.
- How to donate: You can donate shoes at their drop-off location near you.
9. Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA)
VVA is an organization formed to serve the needs of Vietnam war veterans. They collect clothes and household items and give them to homeless and low-income veterans. They also resell clothes and household items you donate to them and use the funds to support their projects and initiatives.
- Accepted donations: You can donate clothes, shoes, appliances, furniture, and other household items.
- How to donate: To donate to VVA, you can schedule a pick-up.
Related: How to reuse old clothes.
10. Local Places of Worship or Home Shelters
If you are not near any of these organizations and you want to donate clothes, you can consider donating them to local places of worship or home shelters. Most churches accept donations to help their less fortunate members. Besides, homeless shelters provide essentials like clothes and food to the less fortunate in the community.
Summary of Where to Donate Clothes in the US
If you have clothes that you no longer use, you can donate them to the above organizations and help less fortunate people in society. Make sure to wash the clothes before donating them. Also, make sure the clothes you want to donate can be worn, hole-free, and gently used. If the clothes are too big or small for you, instead of throwing them away, you can donate them.