Are you are a professional photographer, and you have a challenge deciding on the best software to use for editing photos? This article will provide you with the best professional editing software you can use. You must fine-tune pictures before printing them or uploading them online. Editing helps you focus on an image, improve its appearance and background.
The following are some of the best-rated photo editing software for photographers and their features.
Read also: Best DSLR photography cameras for beginners.
1. Adobe Lightroom
Adobe Lightroom has incredible photo effects and has an intuitive interface. Updates are released every year to improve usability. You can easily edit photos with its user-friendly interface. Fortunately, if you have a WordPress website, you can easily sync Lightroom with your website.
- Face detection useful for photo organization
- Has blurring and fixing tools
- Adjustments features for brush and gradient
- Professional filters
- Corrections for camera and lens
- Limited edition features
- Few designing features
- Doesn't have layers and blend modes
The annual subscription package price ranges between $119.88 and $239.88. For this plan, you get 1TB online storage. For a single subscription plan, you get mobile, web and desktop editing features.
2. Adobe Photoshop
The importance of Adobe Photoshop cannot be emphasized enough for professional photographers, artists, illustrators and designers. It has retouching and layering tools.
- Pro retouching and cloning tools
- 3D layering capability
- It is fast to use even with large image sizes
- It supports various files like JPG, PNG and GIF
- Less support for vector graphics
- Its raw updates and beta version are complicated
- Requires intensive skills to use its features
- Relatively expensive compared to its counterparts
The basic annual package price is $21 every month, with creative cloud storage of 100GB. Initially, you get a one-week free trial.
Read also: Best online photography classes.
3. Adobe Photoshop Elements
Adobe Photoshop Elements is a simple image editor for beginners. Its simple user interface and photo editing features make it easy for people who want to start using Adobe. You do not need professional skills to use.
- Open Closed Eyes feature for opening closed eyes
- Has background replacement features, shape overlay and watercolor
- Excellent for creating professional collages
- AI capabilities for editing
- Has a large setup file that takes significant space
- Has few social sharing outputs
- HEIF support is absent in Windows
Adobe Photoshop Elements has an annual subscription price of $99.99.
4. Skylum Luminar
Skylum Luminar is an excellent photo editing software or professional photographers. One of the reasons it has become popular is because you only need to pay a one-time flat fee, unlike other programs that you must pay monthly or annual fees. You can use it on itself or as a plugin with Photoshop and Lightroom.
- Image and adjustment layers
- 24/7 technical and sales support
- Has multiple viewing options; filmstrip view, gallery view and single image view
- Fast editing tools and controls
- AI-powered enhancers; sky enhancer, sun rays and accidental enhancers
- Organizing and handling workflow is complex
- The cloning tool is unreliable
The package price is a one-time flat fee of $70 with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
5. Corel PaintShop Pro
Corel PaintShop Pro is a straightforward photo editing software and has a variety of editing tools. It has a variety of textures, backgrounds and brushes for editing. However, it doesn't have advanced editing features compared to its counterparts. There are periodical updates with new features. Luckily, it is a one-time payment fee plan.
- 360-degree photo editing
- Blurring and fixing tools
- AI-enhanced features
- Graphic design templates
- Easy user interface
- It is not available on Mac Version
- It lacks advanced editing features like camera shake reduction.
- Lacks faces liquefy
PaintShop Pro 2018 version costs $63.99 while PaintShop Pro 2018 Ultimate version costs $79.99. It is a one-time fee with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read also: Equipment for starting photography business.
Fotor is an excellent editing software for collage makers and designers. It is a desktop application suitable for beginners. It has enhanced features and tools like filters with an easy user interface.
- Stunning filters like portrait, landscape and sunset
- Has a frame and border insertion tool
- Has a smart photo collage tool
- It is not capable of designing work from a scratch
- It lacks some professional editing tools
Fotor's monthly subscription plan costs $8.99, while the annual subscription plan costs $39.99.
Snappa is a cloud-based photo editing software suitable for editing images for social media and marketing. The tool works hand in hand with different professionals to help you edit photos faster. With the software, you can add unique effects and new dimensions to the image.
- Has a drag and drop editing feature
- Fast editing capability
- Easy sharing of edited pictures on social media
- Custom font uploads
- Has no autosave option
- Has no undo feature
- The font search feature is unreliable
One user monthly subscription costs $10 while a subscription of a maximum of 5 members costs $20.
Now that you know the features, cons and prices of each of the editing software, the next step is for you to decide which one suits your needs and is within your budget. However, if you want powerful editing tools, consider Adobe Photoshop, Corel Paintshop Pro 2020 and Skylum Luminar.