How to Plan a Cheap Wedding in Kenya
When many people are planning a wedding, they are usually on a fixed budget. Many people are looking for ways to cut down the wedding budget. A wedding can leave you in debt and even make you fall into a debt trap.
Instead of doing an expensive wedding that will leave you in financial distress, there are several measures you can take to plan a cheap wedding in Kenya. This article will help you plan a cheap wedding that is within your budget.
Factors to Consider When Planning a Wedding
You need to consider the following factors when planning a wedding in Kenya.
- Food and drinks
- Sound system
Wedding Budget Checklist Kenya
To do a cheap wedding in Kenya, you need to be careful about wedding budget in Kenya.
1. Venue. The venue is one of the factors that can drive your wedding budget very high. One of the ways to avoid venue expenses is doing a wedding in a church. Most churches won't charge you if you do a wedding in their compound. If you still want to do a garden wedding, you can still find cheap wedding venues. However, make sure to go for cheap wedding venues.
2. Minimize the number of guests. Minimizing the number of guests will help you cut down on the cost of food and drinks. If you invite many guests, then you can expect that the cost of food and drinks will also be high.
3. Rent a bridal gown. It is cheaper to rent a bridal gown than to purchase one. You will not even need that dress after the wedding. Also, even if you opt to rent a bridal gown, it is good that you go for a cheaper one to cut down your wedding budget. You can also opt to go for a tailor-made but unique bridal gown.
4. Transport. You can cut down the cost of a wedding by hiring cheap vehicles or avoid hiring and instead borrow cars. If you have some friends who have cars, you can talk to them and request to fuel the vehicles and use them in the wedding. You can also look for cheaper cars for hire instead of going for expensive ones.
5. Photography. The cost of photography can drive your wedding budget high if you are not careful. Some of the factors that determine the cost of photography are the number of photographers present at the wedding and the number of photos to be taken. You can stick to at most 500 photos and two photographers; one for photos and another for videography. Check out the following link for quality wedding photography services in Kenya.
Read more: Best wedding photographers in Kenya.
6. Rings. Rings are expensive and it is important that you go for the cheap ones. The cost of rings is between Ksh 5,000 and Ksh 10,000. Make sure to go for rings within your budget.
7. Décor. You can get cheap but elegant décor from experienced florists. Pay attention to the important places that are going to be captured on photos and videos, where the guests will be sitting and the high table. You can shop around for cheap florists.
8. Cake. The cake is an important part of the wedding. Depending on the weight and decorations, the cost of a cake can range between Ksh 20,000 and Ksh 100,000. Go for one that is within your budget.
9. Sound system. You also need to have a good sound system that can serve your guests well. It needs to be loud and clear. You can borrow the sound system from institutions like schools. Alternatively, you can hire one at an affordable rate.
Breakdown Cost of a Cheap Wedding in Kenya
You can do a cheap wedding at a cost of between Ksh 300,000 and Ksh 400,000. The following is a wedding budget that can help you plan your wedding.
- Food for 400 guests – Ksh 60,000
- Venue (tents, chairs and tables) – Ksh 50,000
- Bride parent's clothes – Ksh 20,000
- Videography – Ksh 40,000
- Cake – Ksh 20,000
- Décor – Ksh 10,000
- Sound system – Ksh 15,000
- Wedding rings – Ksh 5,000
- Wedding gown – Ksh 15,000
- Honeymoon – Ksh 50,000
- Transport – Ksh 20,000
- Groom suits – Ksh 10,000
- Marriage license – Ksh 10,000
How to Raise Money for a Wedding
There are several ways through which you can raise money for your wedding. They include:
- Wedding committees
- Friends and relatives
Read also: Best crowdfunding platforms for weddings.
Summary of How to Do a Cheap Wedding in Kenya
To cut down the cost of your wedding, it is best that you shop around and then compare prices. This way, you can decide where to shop or hire items. It would also be best that you request your guest to give gifts in form of money instead of physical gifts.
This is to avoid getting similar gifts from different people. You can avoid some costs like catering costs by asking friends to help you with cooking or borrowing stuff like vehicles and fuel them.