The Credit Reference Bureau (CRB) is a body that gives credit reports about borrowers in Kenya. It is regulated by the Central Bank of Kenya. Defaulting in loan repayment will land you in the CRB blacklist. A majority of Kenyans have been blacklisted on CRB for failing to repay loans. CRB get loan defaulters' details like name, ID number, email address and mobile number from lenders.
In this article, we will show you how to check CRB status online in Kenya.
What is CRB?
CRB stands for Credit Reference Bureau. This is an institution that keeps credit information and is regulated by the Central Bank of Kenya. Lenders submit information about those who default in repayment to CRB. CRB then lists those individuals to make other lenders aware that they are not credit worthy.
Why Am I Listed on CRB?
There are several reasons that could make you get blacklisted by the CRB. They include:
- Defaulting in loan repayment with a bank or SACCO
- Failure to repay your HELB loan
- Failure to repay a loan from a mobile money service
Read also: How to save for your retirement with NSSF.
How to Check CRB Status Online in Kenya
There are three companies that are licensed by the Central Bank of Kenya to collect and provide financial information. You can check your CRB status through:
1. Check CRB Status Via Metropol
To check your CRB status on Metropol:
- Pay Ksh 50 through Metropol Mpesa Paybill number 220338
- Enter your ID number as the account number
- You will get a PIN, reference number and a link
- Dial *433# on your mobile USSD and enter the pin you received
- You will then receive your CRB status after a few minutes
How to Get CRB Clearance Certificate from Metropol
- Visit Metropol website
- Login using your mobile phone number and the reference number you received through an SMS
- Select "Clearance Certificate"
- Pay a fee of Ksh 2,200 through Paybill number 220388
- You will then be provided with instructions on how to download the certificate
2. Check CRB Status Via TransUnion
To check your CRB status on TransUnion:
- Register on their platform by sending your full name to 21272. The SMS costs Ksh 19.
- Alternatively, you can download their Nipashe App and register
- Then enter your ID number and select credit status
- You will receive either “Good” or “Negative”. Good means you are not blacklisted while Negative means you are blacklisted.
How to Get CRB Clearance Certificate from TransUnion
- Send Kshs 2200 to Paybill number 212121
- Enter your ID number
- Forward the Mpesa transaction message to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Check CRB Status via CreditInfo
To get CRB status from CreditInfo, you need to fill an application form online.
- Visit CreditInfo website
- Register and request credit information
- You will be sent an email with your credit status
- You will receive free credit report for one year. After one year, you will need to pay Ksh 350 to receive credit reports.
Read also: How to apply for smart driving license.
How to Get CRB Clearance Certificate if you are Not Blacklisted
Once you have checked your CRB status and confirmed that you have not been listed, you can proceed to request a CRB clearance certificate. You can get the certificate from Metropol, or TransUnion.
- TransUnion. To get CRB clearance certificate, you need to pay Ksh 2200 to the Mpesa paybill number 212121. In the account number section, enter your ID number. Then forward the Mpesa payment confirmation SMS to the email email@example.com
- Metropol. To get CRB clearance certificate through Metropol, you need to pay Ksh 2200 to the Mpesa paybill number 220338. Then visit their website and request for the certificate.
How to Get CRB Clearance Certificate if You Have Been Blacklisted
If you are listed in the CRB blacklist, you must first clear the outstanding loan with the lender to get CRB clearance certificate Kenya. You can negotiate loan terms to help you clear the balance. You can attach collateral to cover the loan and improve your credit score.
Once you have cleared the loan with the lender, wait for at least 3 days before you can begin the process of requesting the CRB clearance form. This is to give the lender time to submit your credit information to the bureau.
Read also: Money lending apps in Kenya.
How Long Does it Take to Get CRB Clearance Certificate Kenya?
The time it takes to get cleared from CRB depends with the agent you are using. Credit reports are updated on daily basis . As such, it depends with how fast your lender will submit your credit report. Usually, it takes between 1 and 3 days to get cleared by CRB.
Summary of How to Check CRB Status Online Kenya
It is important that you maintain good credit score and refrain from defaulting in loan repayment. This way, you will avoid getting listed on CRB blacklist. It is impossible to get a loan when you are listed on CRB blacklist.
Some employers ask for CRB clearance certificates during recruitment. In such a case, you may miss on job opportunities if you are blacklisted. If you have been blacklisted, make sure to clear your loan balance and then get a clearance certificate.