Since March 2018, NTSA has been issuing smart driving licenses to replace the red booklet driving licenses. The smart driving license card looks like an ID card and has one’s name, blood group and biometric information. It can store traffic offenses a driver commits. Many drivers are still using the old driving licenses. In this article, we will provide you with details about how to apply for smart driving license in Kenya.
What is Smart Driving License?
A smart driving license is a kind of digital driving license that uses technology. It has a chip that stores driver's details like accidents caused, class of vehicles licensed to drive, and years or driving. The smart driving license comes to replace the old driving license that has been in use in the past.
How the Smart Card Driving License Works
The smart card driving license looks like an ID card and is fitted with a chip that can store biometric information. The card comes with 100 points. For every traffic offense a driver commits, points are deducted. If the points fall below the minimum threshold of 40, the driving license will be canceled. The driver can re-apply for another driving license after six months. This means that a driver cannot drive until six months are over.
Countries like Germany, Australia and the UK use such driving licenses. The migration to the digital driving licenses is to help curb issuance of fake driving licenses to unqualified drivers. It is also meant to ensure adherence to traffic rules by drivers and punish those that break them.
Read also: How to check CRB status online in Kenya.
Requirements for Smart Driving Licence
You need to enter the following details when applying for a smart card driving license.
- ID number
- Phone number
- KRA PIN
- Blood group
Smart Driving License Kenya Online Application
To get digital driving license, you need to first register on TIMS (Transport Information Management System) that is operated by NTSA. To create an account, follow these simple steps:
- Visit https://tims.ntsa.go.ke/login_csp.jsp
- Create an account if you don’t have one by clicking “Register an Account” at the top of the page
- You will be directed to a new page. Select "Individual" and then enter your ID Serial Number and not ID number.
- Fill in other details like phone number and verify that all details are correct
- Request a verification code that will be sent to the phone number you indicated
- Enter the verification code and you will have registered for a TIMS account
How to Apply for Smart Driving License in Kenya
Now that you have a TIMS account:
- Log into your account
- Select “Driving License”
- Then click “Apply for Smart DL”
- You will be redirected to a page where you need to verify that all the information is correct
- If all the details are correct, click “Next” button
- You will be redirected to a page where you need to make a payment. You need to pay Ksh 3,050 to apply for a smart driving license.
- Once you have paid, book an appointment with NTSA
- During the appointment day, NTSA will capture your fingerprints, signature and take a photo of you
- Then wait until your smart driving license is ready for collection
How Long Does it Take to Get a Smart DL in Kenya?
After applying for a smart DL, the question is usually; how long does smart dl take to be ready? Normally, it should take 3 weeks after your details have been captured to have your smart driving license ready for collection.
However, NTSA is facing a backlog and it may take longer before your smart DL is ready for collection. However, you can continue using the old driving license which will continue to be in use until 80% of drivers have acquired smart driving license.
How to Renew Smart Driving License Kenya
To renew your digital driving license in Kenya, you can visit the NTSA office or your TIMS account. To renew your digital driving license via the NTSA portal:
- Go to the DL menu
- Click “Renew Smart DL”
- Confirm your details and make payment
- Book a date and time for the collection of biometrics
You will need to submit the old smart driving license after your biometrics have been captured. You will then be issued a temporary driving license until the digital license is sent to you. Your new smart DL will be sent to you within 10 days.
Read also: How to file tax returns in Kenya.
Summary of How to Apply Smart Driving Licence in Kenya
Smart card driving license will help in storing a driver's information. It can also store traffic offenses committed by a driver. You can apply for one and renew yours online. We hope after reading this article you can easily apply for a smart driving license in Kenya.