Since March 2018, NTSA has been issuing smart driving licenses to replace the red booklet driving licenses. The smart driving license card looks like an ID card and has one’s name, blood type and biometric information. It can store traffic offenses a driver commits. Many drivers are still using the old driving licenses. In this article, we will provide you with details about how you can apply for the new smart driving license in Kenya.
How the Smart Card Driving License Works
The smart card driving license looks like an ID card and is fitted with a chip that can store biometric information. The card comes with 100 points. For every traffic offense a driver commits, points are deducted. If the points fall below the minimum threshold of 40, the driving license will be canceled. The driver can re-apply for another driving license after six months. This means that a driver cannot drive until six months are over.
Countries like Germany, Australia and the UK use such driving licenses. The migration to the digital driving licenses is to help curb issuance of fake driving licenses to unqualified drivers. It is also meant to ensure adherence to traffic rules by drivers and punish those that break them.
Read also: How to get CRB clearance certificate.
Smart Card Driving License Online Application
To get digital driving license, you need to first register on TIMS (Transport Information Management System) that is operated by NTSA. To create an account, follow these simple steps:
- Visit https://tims.ntsa.go.ke/login_csp.jsp
- Create an account if you don’t have one by clicking “Register an Account” at the top of the page
- You will be directed to a new page. Select "Individual" and then enter your ID Serial Number and not ID number.
- Fill in other details like phone number and verify that all details are correct
- Request a verification code that will be sent to the phone number you indicated
- Enter the verification code and you will have registered for a TIMS account
How to Apply for a Smart Driving License
Now that you have a TIMS account:
- Log into your account
- Select “Driving License”
- Then click “Apply for Smart DL”
- You will be redirected to a page where you need to verify that all the information is correct
- If all the details are correct, click “Next” button
- You will be redirected to a page where you need to make a payment. You need to pay Ksh 3,050 to apply for a smart driving license.
- Once you have paid, book an appointment with NTSA
- During the appointment day, NTSA will capture your fingerprints, signature and take a photo of you
- Then wait until your smart driving license is ready for collection
How Long Does it Take to Get the Smart Driving License?
Normally, it should take 3 weeks after your details have been captured to have your smart driving license ready for collection. However, NTSA is facing a backlog and it may take longer before your smart DL is ready for collection. However, you can continue using the old driving license which will continue to be in use until 80% of drivers have acquired smart driving license.